SUPPORT TREASURE FAMILIES SUFFERING THE EFFECTS OF COVID-19
For several months, Guatemala and its government have been fighting to contain and overcome Covid-19. These have been difficult months and for the population that lives in poverty it has been almost devastating!
Your help will provide faith, hope and love to children and their families in the midst of these difficult and uncertain times. Your support allows us to provide tangible reminders that Jesus cares for their every need.
Provide one family with a bag of staple foods that will last for 2 weeks
Provide a child with personal protection equipment that will help keep them safe upon returning to our enrichment classes
Provide a whole community with a hygiene station to help prevent the virus spreading
WHAT IMPACT HAS COVI-19 HAD ON THE TREASURES?
- It is estimated that in 2020 some 97,000 jobs will be lost in Guatemala. Thousands of families are suffering due to lack of formal work and opportunities in the informal economy
- Children have the challenge of continuing their studies from home while lacking the technological resources and supplies they need. These challenges are even greater in families in which parents do not know how to read or write
- Senior citizens and individuals with chronic illnesses have a difficult time finding medicines without putting themselves at risk of becoming infected with the virus
POTTER´S HOUSE RESPONSE TO COVID-19
Through our Community Centers in Guatemala City and the Northeastern Region in Chiquimula we have been serving the Treasures through the following:
- Bags of groceries high in vitamins and nutrients in order for families to take care of their nutrition and health during this time.
- Hygiene kits and education that reinforce self-care and health.
- Educational follow up for 250 students from different ages, school supplies and study resources.
- Pharmacy for patients seeking to fill a medical prescription.
- Hygiene stations that facilitate personal and community hygiene in order to reduce the chances of being infected with the virus.
- Spiritual and emotional support for individuals and families during these difficult times.
EMPOWERING CHILDREN IN POVERTY IN GUATEMALA
POVERTY IS COMPLEX
65% of people in Guatemala live in poverty – not just economic, but physical, spiritual and mental. Over thirty years of serving the poor, we’ve identified eight forms of poverty that reinforce each other – that keep the poor excluded, manipulated and unable to build their own opportunities.
POVERTY CAN BE SOLVED!
People can overcome it, they just need the opportunities to do so. And when this happens, it brings many changes; such as, health and wellness, peace and liberty, abundancy and hope…
So, how to overcome poverty?